Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Bet part 2

The movie was fun.

Emma and I have always been fascinated with movies. May it be the silversceen, DVD's or the cable TV, we both watch movies with interest. Ideally, the purpose of going to movie houses is to watch a movie. Emma is definitely my movie partner. We both know what movies whe like, and the ones we hate. We both hate talking, getting interrupted, and those inconsiderate cellphone users in the cinema. Ever since we started going to movies together, we made sure that inside the cinema, its just us and the screen and no one else. Oh yeah, we never forgot that popcorn is a requirement ever since watching 6th sense with ther friends. Ideally.

In reality though, watching a movie with Emma offers something different. Its difficult to focus on the movie because my attention was being diverted towards Emma. She's sitting on my left, and how the lights shines upon her face as she nibbles on the popcorn and makes subtle reactions to the characters and emotions on the screen- it feels like I'm watching 2 movies at a time.

Truth is, I'd rather stare at her than watch the movie.

Emma was not really familiar with the Xmen characters, and she cant recall the two X-men movies so from time to time she would ask me questions by passing me her cell phone. I tried to answer most of them without annoying those who were watching the movie around us. I think Emma began to understand the movie when the questions stopped.

Erika and Richard, however, was a different story. I don't know if they understood the movie with all the lip action going on betweeen them. I can't think of any other couple who can go at it a scene after a main character just died. After each kiss, Emma and I would pass cellphone messages between us. We would laugh silently because we didnt want Erika to notice that we are keeping count. Towards the end of the movie, Emma counted 6 kisses and I was confident that I've won our little bet already.

I was robbed of sweet victory in a scene by Anna Paquin and Shawn Ashmore a few seconds before the movie ended.

"I won," Emma told me while sticking the tip of her tongue out.

"I know," I told her with my head bowed down.

"I would've still won even if we didnt change the bet," she laughed as we watched the ending credits roll

"Hehe you don't have to rub it in"

"Rub what in?" Emma asked with a grin. "The fact that YOU LOST?"

"Yeah yeah..."

Emma flashed me a sinister smile as we all stood up and exitted the theater. I was beginning to worry about the consequece of the bet. We agreed that the loser does what the winner asks.

The moment we got out, the girls excused themselves to go to the washroom. This gave me some time with Richard for a little man to man talk.

"Musta kayo?"

"Ok lang," I laughed. "Di ko pa rin sinasabi eh"

"Akala ko alam na nya," asked Richard. "Humihirit ka pa nga kanina eh"

"Wala yon"

"Masyado ka kasing nag-iisip," He said. "Ang torpe mo"

"Di ako torpe," I protested. "Just cautious"

"Diba ganun rin yon?"

"Di no. Aamin naman ako eh"

"Kelan"

"Yun ang di ko pa alam"

"Kitam. Torpe ka nga. Di mo nga masabi sa sarili mong mahal mo si Emma eh".

I thought about it... I keep making excuses why I cant be honest with Emma. Di naman ako torpe... But I do really have to tell her? What he said is true though. Whenever I was asked if I love her, I always say I'm not sure.

"I love Emma... I love you Emma," I kept saying to myself over and over again in my head just to imagine how it would sound. "Yup, natotorpe nga ako," I concluded.

"You know," Richard began to talk in a more serious tone. "Emma has been good to you all these years na walang hinihiling na kapalit. You owe it to her to at least tell her how you feel."

I couldn't believe that it was the Richard who was talking. For once, he didn't suggest his usual "knock her up, wala nang magagawa mommy mo" plan.

"Tell her dude," Richard continued. "Emma needs to hear you say it. It doesn't have to be a confession, just an affirmation. You two are practically a couple already." He was actually being mature about this. Recalling how Erika initiated most of the kisses and hugs the couple did tonight, its as if the two of them exchanged personas.

"Wow thats deep. Ayos..." I told Richard in astonishment. "Seryoso ka yata. Xavier? Is that you?" I joked.

"Seryoso p're," Richard replied "You don't have to worry what other people will say". He kept a straight face as he placed an arm on my shoulder. "I won't die for them. I'll die for you".

"Gagu!" I laughed. I couldn't believe I bought his act. I pulled away from him because other people may think we're gay.

We changed the topic and talked about the movie while wating for the girls. As soon as they appeared in the theater lobby, Richard and I began walking towards them. "Sige p're akong bahala sayo," He said before we were close enough to be heard.

"Baby tara yosi tayo," invited Richard. Erika was hesitant first but I could've sworn I saw Richard wink and whisper something at Erika's ear. We said our goodnights and goodbyes, but before the couple walked away, Richard said her'll give me a push.

"Emma, may sasabihin nga pala sayo si Aldrin". OMGWTF! That wasn't a push! It was a outright shove down to the fiery pits of hell! As the couple walked away, I saw them giving me winks and thumbs ups.

It was an awkward situation as we watched the couple walk away. I didn't know what to say... Well... actually I knew exactly what to say, but I couldn't say it. I was nervous and I couldn't even think of how i'll get myself out of this situation.

Then came a surprize. As soon as Erika and Richard turned the corner and disappeared from view, Emma took my right arm and clung to it. Remember the mutant power that Emma has? That happened again, but this time, I was frozen stiff because I'm a nervous wreck already. Why is she holding my arm? I didn't do anything to suggest that she should cling on my right arm. Did I involuntarily extended my elbow? Hmm... She's been prety clingy lately. We've been texting and talking a lot lately. She easily gets angry whenever I tell her that I didn't eat lunch, and she's been waiting for me every night so we can have dinner together at home even if I arrive very late. She's never forgotten to tell me to take care during mornings and she's never missed out on wishing me a good sleep every night.

Can it be? Can this be what I have been dreaming off? Can it be that Emma likes me too?

I looked at Emma's eyes. She was looking at me as well with a smile so pure, I couldn't help but smile back...

"Excuse lang Al," Emma said. She then raised her left foot to fix the strap of her sandals.

T_T False alarm. Pinagkapitan lang pala ako. owgaddemmet. I'm nothing more than a safety hand rail. Amp.

"Thanks," said Emma as she stood up and straightened her skirt. "Ano yung sabi ni Kuya Richard?"

My mind was blank, but for 2 reasons:

First, I didn't know what to say. I was trying to think of an escape route, but to no avail. What can I say at this moment that would merit Richard's comments, and believable enough but not too incriminating? I cant think of anything. I thought hard but nothing registered.

Second, and perhaps the reason why I can't think straight is when Emma finished fixing her sandal strap, she didn't let go of my arm. Emma was still clinging to me. If anything has has changed, its her grip. She's holding me closer and tighter.

We just stood there, while Emma was looking at me. I pulled to the side because I didn't like standing in the middle of the lobby.

"This is it," I told myself. "I'm gonna have to tell her... wait... should I really tell her?". If there was a time for little angel Aldrin and little devil Aldrin to appear beside my head, that would be it. Unfortunately, wla pala akong conscience lol. I was becoming deperate for anything that would stall our converstaion.

"Al, you ok?" Asked Emma with that concerned look on her face. I wish her face was a little less expressive so I can concentrate. She's not clinging to my arm anymore, but her left hand is holding my right wrist. Maybe she can feel my pulse? I'm pretty sure my heart rate jumped a few notches. She is waiting for an answer. C'mon Aldrin! Talk! You can't let her wait forever!

"Yeah... Iniisip ko lang yung mga banat ni Richard," I said.

"Yeah ang kulit nya sobra," she replied along with a soft laugh.

"Aren't you offended na tinutukso nya tayo?"

"Sanay na ko eh," she explained. "...And besides, if I'm not ok with it, you'll be the first to know".

"Oh... so... did you enjoy the movie?" I asked her in an effor to change the topic.

"Yeah," she smiled. "Thank you for taking me out"

"Taking you out?" I asked, "As in a date?"

"Yeah," said Emma with a confused look "Isn't this a date?"

"I dunno... Do you think it is?

"Hay nako," Emma said as she let go of my hand, folded her arms and raised an eyebrow. "This IS a date. Yun lang ba yung sinasabi ni Kuya Richard? Kala ko kung ano na"

"No, thats not it," I confessed.

"Eh ano?"

"Well...," I said as I paused. Im my head I was chosing the right words to say and the riwght way to say it. "You know me well enough to tell that I enjoyed the movie, right?"

"Oo naman," answered Emma. I looked at her face and I saw that her eyes were looking up to me. Her eyes looked like a combination of equal parts anticipation, confusion, and puppy dog eyes. I cleared my throat...

"Well I was thinking that since we both enjoy watching movies, maybe... If you or I need some one to go see a movie with then maybe we can go with each other, you know... in sickness or in health... as long we both shall live"

In an instant, Emma began suffering from violent convulsions. Her body shook terribly as she began vomitting blood. "Ang corny mo Al," she spoke between coughs of red fluid. Finally she threw up her still beating heart. She fell lifeless to the ground as I stand above her screaming "What the hell have I done?!"






Ok enough drama.

"Well I was thinking that I really enjoyed the movie-"

"Yeah" Emma interrupted with a laugh. "I think we've established the fact that you, indeed, enjoyed the movie"

"Eh... hear me out. I'm trying to be serious here," I told Emma although she can tell that I found her comment humorous.

"Sige na nga," She folded her arms again, but this time she grinned. "Shoot," she urged me to continue.

"I enjoyed the movie, BUT more than that, I enjoyed the evening as well...," I told Emma while trying to keep my eyes on her.

"...and... I think it would not have been possible if you didn't agree to come with me".

I felt my voice shake and as I smiled, I felt my lips tremble. "Emma, I really enjoyed your company tonight".

I looked at Emma to wait for a reaction, but she just stared right back. "That it," I told her, thinking that maybe she's still expecting more.

Call me dense, but of all the scenarios that played in my head, Emma's reaction is still not the one that I expected.

Her smile disappeared and her eyebrows met. "Tonight lang?," she said in tone that was both surprized and angry. I tried to talk but before I got the chance, she turned her back and started walking away.

I walked beside her and began apologizing. "Did I say anything wrong?"

"No"

"Then why are you angry?"

"I'm not angry"

"You're saying that you don't have any prolems with what I said tonight?"

"OK lang," she added with a stern tone. I sighed. There she goes again with her "ok lang" comments. If there is a book that I can read so I can understand women better, please tell me now.

"Obvious na di ka nakikinig sakin kanina," Emma continued, her voice sounded annoyed. "If I'm not ok with it, you'll be the first to know"

"So you're ok with it?"

Emma stopped walking and turned to me. I felt like I should've just kept my mouth shut. She gave me an angry stare that I only saw what I was teasing her to her male highschool classmates. "uh oh... this can't be good"

"I won the bet right?"

"Yes"

"And you'll do anything I ask you, right?"

"As long as it is not life threatening, yeah," I said with a laugh, but she didn't buy it.

"Tara". She clung to my right arm again, but her annoyed facial expression remains unchanged. She began walking and since she is holding on to me, I couldn't help but follow.

Emma dragged me towards Starbucks and pulled me inside, towards the counter. "You know what to do, I'll get us seats". She then let go of my arm and walked towards a corner of the shop.

"WTF just happened?" I thought that I almost ignored the barrista who was asking me for my order.

"Our order?" I asked myself. Whenever we go to Starbucks, Emma always has the same thing, her favorite blended coffee, and to go with it, either a belgian waffle or a slice of cake that she could never really finish. She always offers the leftovers to me after having less than half of the slice bites.

I talked to the barrista to place our order and I was asked to wait. I could've went to the table where Emma was sitting, but I didn't. I chose to stand beside the counter and just wait there.

"Someone please shoot me now," I whispered to myself as I scanned the packets of straws, sugars and creamers and plastic stirring sticks. I looked at Emma from across the room. She was staring outside, arms folded, with a dishertening frown. When she turned to look at me, I turned away from her. Somehow, I didn't feel like looking at her.

"This is upsetting," I told myself as I made a quick recollection of everything that happened today. "Maybe she doesn't like me after all..."

I fell in line to get our purchase when my phone rang twice for a text message. It was Emma, and the message was a long one.

Sorry al, pls dnt be mad. I rly dnt know how 2 react when u say things lyk that. U treat me lyk im sum1 special but i feel that i dnt deserve it. Im conflicted. Im happy, bliv me, i jst dnt know how 2 tell u. Pls dont be upset.

Her triple ü's are missing so there must be something wrong. I looked at her from the counter and I saw that she was looking at me, only there's something different about her. Emma was sobbing, and she was trying hard to smile. I remember that night when we came back from the party. I knew she got upset when I admitted that I didnt want to leave her alone at the house.

Maybe things are difficult for Emma as it is for me, only, Emma is not really used to getting compliments. She admitted to me once that she has problems with self esteem and maybe that was it. Maybe she gets upset whenever someone appreciates her for who she is because its something that she erally needs but she rarely recieves.

Many people assume that Emma is the prefect woman, but somehow I cant seem to agree with them. Skeptics think that I'm just painting my picture of a perfect lady whenever I talk about Emma but they dont know how wrong they are. If they are with me right here, right know, they'll know that Emma isn't perfect. She has her ups and downs. She can be very sweet and be very bitter. Emma may not be perfect, but she is real. She is as real as the tears that were falling down on her cheeks. Maybe thats why I like her. No illusions, just reality.

I'm not good at hypothesizing about women and what they want. All I know is I want to hurry to the table and comfort her.

I got our stuff and proceeded to the small coffee table. It was a corner table, adequate for a private talk. As a walked towards her, Emma tried to stop crying and smile. When I was a few feet away from her, I stopped and pointed at her face and smiled.

"Haha. Iyaken!"

Emma burst into laughter. "Sira ka talaga," she complained. "Emote na emote ako, tapos patatawanin mo ko"

"I'm sorry ma'am", I apologized I said in a fake British accent that I know she loves to hate... "Tissue ma'am?" I said as I offered her the napkins. Emma began laughing between sniffles.

"Ok ma'am, here's your joe, and your waffle," I told her as I placed her coffee and her plate from the tray to the table.

"'Joe' is an American term", she corrected. "The British term is 'molten'".

"My apologies ma'am," I laughed. "O ayan! kape mo." I watched as Emma's laugh pushed away the sad expression that just moments ago embraced her face. Her smile is back now...

"Will there be anything else ma'am?" I asked her.

"Nothing more thank you," she told me as she spoke in her call centre accent. "Although your company would be nice, sir". She smiled at me as she gestured at the empty chair beside her.

I sat down beside her, and we did what we do best: enjoyed the moment. Its been a weird evening, I thought as I watched Emma forked the corner of the waffle "A very weird and cofusing evening".

I lost the bet, but I felt like I won something... I think... did I?

14 Comments:

At 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ihis is one of those moments i wish i knew you well enough to strangle you... Your katorpehan... reminds me of me... >.<

lol

I think I speak for everybody when I say that she knows. Does anybody else agree? Hands please. :D

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger chris said...

The most exciting entry so far. your site is now one of my stops during the day.

Also, a question. Bakit naman siya napa-iyak? Ndi kaya sa kala niya sasabihin mo na ang iyong tunay na damdamin at ndi nangyari? Ikaw naman kasi e, nagpaligoy ligoy pa. Obvious na naman ang feelings niyo sa isa't isa!

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Aldrin Lew said...

A lot of things are happening and I think my blog updates cant keep up.

If I told her I love her then baka matapos na tong blog na to. lol

@rehpic
When Emma cried, the most I can get out of her is "di ako sanay," after that, she said we'll just talk about it sometime. But I think she cried because it was an unexpected compliment, plus the fact na mababaw luha nya. I see her wiping tears in front of the TV sometimes.

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of things are happening and I think my blog updates cant keep up.

If I told her I love her then baka matapos na tong blog na to. lol


hmmmm be detailed then...

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im excited sa susunod na kabanata!!! :)

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kilig! you tell her na kasi your feelings, obvious naman na mutual e. ewan ko lang kung kulang sa EQ yung mga taga-subaybay ng blog mo kaya super atat kami o medyo kulang ka din sa iodized salt kaya nde mo pa ma-gets ang obviously e obvious na sa lahat? ;)

saka... asows... ano naman kung matapos na ang blog na 'to, you can always start a new one like - "ang nobya kong chimay" o kaya "i lab u koya". joke lang ha. but really, kidding aside, best wishes to both of you.

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm .. nabitin ako

KILIG! lol

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm I think you should take her out on a real date...

I suggest lunch at Antonio's. Yung medyo special...lalang I wanna know how she will react to that.

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daming paligoy-ligoy. Walang nangyayari sa torpe.

 
At 2:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, grabe, kilig naman aldrin! i think she knows already and i think she probably likes you too ;) why the sudden change with her behavior towards you di ba? sabi mo nga, she's been clingy the past days.

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emma dragged me towards Starbucks and pulled me inside, towards the counter. "You know what to do, I'll get us seats".

wahehe..you two should try java chip frap blended coffee, it'l hit d stores starting next tuesday. Ü nada, just a suggestion since i noticed u guys are frequent cutomers of Starbucks..

oh btw, i work for sbux...head office though. do u want a discount card? lol..keep on posting...Ü

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger $$$ said...

kilig na bitin. but for sure this story's addictive. :D

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kinikilig naman ako hehehehe well aldrin sabihin mo na hehehe..... hhayyyy naalala ko ung nagbigay ng url ng blog na ito sakin d nya lam na crush ko sya.... :-/

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kinikilig naman ako hehehehe well aldrin sabihin mo na hehehe..... hhayyyy naalala ko ung nagbigay ng url ng blog na ito sakin d nya lam na crush ko sya.... :-/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home